Email | Résumé

Introduction | Unreal Setup | Problems | Modeling | Breaking and Tuning | Extras and Final Product | Conclusion
This is a summary of a 3-month long project in which I took a custom vehicle and scripted it for use in Unreal Tournament 3. The vehicle in question is a 2001 Dodge Durango; my family's Durango to be exact. The car was unexpectedly traded in during the initial modeling, but I wanted to create a car that I would have personal knowledge of. This was my first experience with scripting, and though there were several mountains to climb as only touched upon in this summary, the final product was a success.

I began this project by recycling another. Three months before even thinking about scripting a custom vehicle, I modeled the first version of the Durango. This was based off a collection of reference images that I took during the previous summer, when I first thought that it would be a good exercise to model a car that I actually knew in person. This was my forth vehicle model, and was completed in less than two weeks. The original plan for this scripting project was to take this existing model and complete the interior. However, enough time had passed that I saw a lot of modeling errors that could stand to be corrected. So the interior was scrapped in favor of redoing the entire exterior to make it as solid as possible. However, because the original model would be the same dimensions as the one I would eventually rebuild, I imported that into Unreal Engine 3 first and began the process of scripting. As my first time working with Unreal Script, this would give the most padding in case things went wrong, and proved to be a very good choice. Once the code was done, I would be able to work on the modeling without worry. In the worst case scenario, I at least wanted to have something working in the engine, regardless of if it was pretty or not.

Desborough Designs and all included material are property of Janelle Desborough, 2011.